Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pobre Ana & Patricia va a California

Sixth grade students began the year by reading one of two novels by Blaine Ray. One group is reading Pobre Ana and the other group is reading Patricia va a California. Both are short novels written in the present tense which also include the cultures of Mexico and Guatemala. We are reading the novels together in class, acting out scenes in the chapter and conducting chapter chats. By doing so, it helps reinforce the grammatical structures and vocabulary learned in each chapter. Below are some pictures of the students acting out scenes from Patricia va a California as well as learning to dance la cumbia, which is something Ana learns how to do in the novel, Pobre Ana. 






1 comment:

  1. Hi Rosana! I'm so happy I came across your blog. I have started the first chapter of Pobre Ana with my 8th grade students, and they are so bored with how I'm presenting it to them. I tried having them read it taking turns as a whole class so I could do PQA as we went along, but they complained so much! Then, yesterday, I had them read it aloud in groups, and summarize as they went along, and they obviously hated that too.

    I'm really struggling with how to help them with the key vocab and grammar points, so they don't get lost, and how to make it engaging. I like how your activities seem to do both! Can you give me more details on how you set up your groups, your role facilitating the concepts in the book, and what activities you do along the way (that are more engaging than the worksheets I keep seeing online)?

    I think if I can just understand how to get started with the groups, I can help my students run with this book!

    Many thanks in advance!! You may just save this novel study for my class! :)

    ReplyDelete