Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hello TCS NMY! From Tina and Justin

Dear Sixth Grade Friends and Families,

I am very excited to be joining the Nelson Middle Years faculty and be a part of the TCS family this school year as the 6th grade math/science teacher. Last year I had the opportunity to meet some of the NMY students and faculty and was overwhelmed with the sense of community and support that is apparent the moment you step onto campus. I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to join this team of learners and educators this upcoming year!

Prior to coming to The Children’s School, I taught at The Child’s Primary School teaching science to elementary and middle school students and for four years at a middle school in Northern Virginia. I received my masters in secondary education at James Madison University with a concentration in science education. It was there that I attended STEM workshops and developed a passion for integrating science and math curriculums with technology to enhance the learning process. I am excited to continue this here at TCS and help the students explore how science, technology, engineering and mathematics are interconnected in the real world.  

Outside of school, I love to travel, complete triathlons and spend time outdoors with my dog, Koda. Every other summer I travel to Rwanda to work at a boys orphanage teaching them English and science, which is by far my biggest passion outside of teaching. I am very excited to begin this new adventure at TCS and eager to get to know the students and families that make up this fabulous community! If you have any questions or concerns before the start of school, feel free to email me tmiller@tcslj.org


Sincerely,

Tina Miller


-------------------------------

Dear TCS Community,

It is an honor to have the opportunity to join the Nelson Middle Years staff as the new 6th grade humanities teacher. From day one I have been overwhelmed by the enthusiasm that the teachers, students, and parents have for The Children's School. 

For the past five years I taught at Sinai Akiba Academy, a private Jewish school in Los Angeles. I received my Bachelor's degree in history from U.C.L.A. in 2007, and earned a Master's degree in education, with a focus in teaching secondary history, from Harvard in 2010. My teaching philosophy can be described as student-centered, with a focus on critically analyzing historical texts and teaching students how to synthesize and apply their knowledge through critical writing and in-depth discussion. My ultimate goal is to make my students independent, open-minded thinkers who have the ability to adapt and succeed in a variety academic settings. 

In my free time I enjoy reading historical non-fiction, taking my dog to the beach, and cooking French and Mexican food. I originally hail from beautiful Bakersfield, California, but have lived in either Los Angeles or Boston for the last decade. I currently live in Hillcrest with my girlfriend of ten years, and our dog, Gigi. Thank you again for the warm welcome to the TCS community and I look forward to an exciting and productive year. 

Sincerely,

Justin Lemucchi



No comments:

Post a Comment